Generally I do all the shopping in our house for groceries. Lately I've been trying to pay attention to where products are made. It seems as though trying to look for cheaper items doesn't always pay off. A few months ago I read an article about how we import so much from China and how it can be pretty risky.
Recently wanted to purchase a can of mushrooms. Guess where they came from? India, China and finally I found a can that said Made in the U.S.A. on it. They were organic and .10 more than the 'foreign brand'. A few weeks after that I was thawing some frozen peel and eat shrimp for dinner only to flip over the container and realize that they were from... yup, you guessed it-CHINA.
Now I am starting to freak out. It seems harder and harder to find even FOOD products produced here. And even when you try to figure out where they are from, many times it says 'packaged' or 'distributed' by someplace in the US. But I assume from that then the food is not actually from here.
I think this is really a risk that we cannot afford to live with. Eating foods and medicines from foreign countries is one thing but that should be by CHOICE not a requirement.
When I was growing up, I remember my Dad always reading the labels of foods and things to see if they were made in a foreign country. I always remember thinking it was kinda absurd to worry about something bad going on with a food/product from another country. Now I see that he was 100% right.
www.stillmadeinusa.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment