Friday, September 25, 2009

Tomato -TomATo

A couple of years ago the neighbors were having a garage sale and I bought a few boxes of her old jars off of her. (Two huge boxes for $2!). This is the first year I was able to actually get the time to try some canning. I consulted with my SIL Jodie (the queen of all things canned) and got the directions. I figured I'd try tomatoes first since they seem like they're kinda easy to do.

It was much easier than I thought. It's a pretty sweaty process because you have all these pots of water and tomatoes cooking all over. But once you get coordinated it was pretty straightforward. I think the hardest part was getting the skin off of the tomatoes.

Bob brought home a few tomatoes from the local roadside stand and after I prepared them, I cooked em up with onion, tomato and garlic. (What a way to spend a Saturday night!) Of those tomatoes, I ended up with a total of two quarts and two pints. (Last picture). After that I went back to our local roadside stand and purchased a BOX of canning tomatoes. The lady working at the stand told me that you don't need perfect tomatoes for canning. Apparently, "canning tomatoes" can have a few a big box of tomatoes. I spent part of Sunday canning more. This time I attempted salsa. Of course we don't know how it tastes because we haven't tried it yet and I didn't have a 'recipe'. So I just sorta made it up. Jalapenos, red onion, green onion, garlic, garlic salt, pepper.. I don't think ya can screw up salsa that bad right? I figure if it's not good we can throw it in as spaghetti sauce or into a pot of chili right?

Today I am going to attempt to complete the rest of the box! Now to figure out where to store everything! I am also thinking I'm gonna give apple sauce a shot... any suggestions?





1 comment:

Lisa Haiss said...

My grandma, who couldn't cook to save her life, made absolutely awesome apple sauce. She called it Lumpy. My uncle Bob and his kids called it Yappa Dappa. Either way, it was awesome. Until she started buying sour apples and eliminating the sugar. Bad combination.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, YOU CAN DO IT!!!