Monday, January 4, 2010

Woah What a Holiday

So this year we had a crazy holiday. We woke up at 2 AM on Christmas morning to discover Alex had a fever. This was the first time he'd ever really had a fever. So we gave him Tylenol. A few hours later the fever went higher. Who do you call on Christmas Day!? Fortunately, there was an emergency number for the pediatrician and that connected me to a nurse who told me not to worry and just bring him in if the fever reached 104 on the thermometer and use Children's Motrin. The fever went down, we opened presents and we went on with our plans for the day.

Well the fever went waaaayy up the day after Christmas we got ourselves a trip to the ER :( (yes, I know I am an idiot first time mother!) After a dose of Motrin and Tylenol (at the same time, as fever of 104 will get ya that!), putting us in a special room with a "Contamination" sign on the door and an inquisition about who we've been associating with by an ER doc, the problem was finally diagnosed. A double ear infection and pneumonia in the right lung. Sigh. There is a longer story behind what I suspect created the pneumonia but I don't wanna take this blog entry down another rabbit hole. But as a note to other readers this is what I learned from this trip to the ER-

1) Rotate the use of Tylenol and Motrin during a fever
2) You CAN give Tylenol and Motrin at the same time to a child when the fever is above 102
3) Just because the fever goes away, does not mean your kid is better

Fortunately, I had the week off and that helped us rest and get back to speed. The Dr says the pneumonia might take 3 weeks to get over but so far the ear infections have cleared up. So here are a few snapshots of the rest of the week while we were home bound..


We had planned on a curry night with Nikki and Mathias. They were kind enough to come to our house and show me how to cook with curry!
The intent was to have Thai curry but in the end it was Indian curry and even better!

It was a great night!

Since we were home bound on New Year's Eve too, we decided to have a little indoor fun. Sandi got Alex this cool tent/tube thing. So we set it up and it was a hit! We watched movies and hung out.

Feeling Better!

When we were feeling better and multiple days without a fever we went to visit the Duttine's on their last day of their trip. Here are a few pictures of Alex with Talya and Aimee. The kids had a great time and Alex laughed and played like he was never sick!

Hmmm.... I always say Alex is a ladies' man! Watch out German boys!








1 comment:

Weiss Women said...

I am getting all caught up on your holiday! A lot of fun things! Alex is getting so big. I hope he is feeling better. I didn't learn about alternating tylenol and motrin until baby#2 so don't feel bad! Margaret had a double ear infection and bronchitis while we were in MI so I feel some of your pain. Also the curry looks delicious!