Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pearl Jam 2009

So I managed to squeak in my camera to the concert this year. I say squeak b/c at the Cleveland concert they made me take it back to the hotel. And after I got into the concert I saw the thousands of other fans with their cameras... argh. ANYHOW, I digress. This was a very awesome concert. But Pearl Jam has never disappointed!

Since Bob is part of the fan club he gets advance notice on concerts and tickets. Pearl Jam is awesome to their fans. They guarantee any member of the fan club two tickets to any concert they want to attend. All you have to do is sign up ahead of time and pick up your tickets at the concert beforehand. We drove to Toronto from our house and straight to the Molson Amphitheater. What we didn't really realize is that the concert venue is like in the middle of this giant exhibition. Something like a state fair with an all-year amusement park and water park attached. So we had to park there (and pay $20 to park there just to pick up the tickets) and then walk for what seemed like MILES (and I'm pretty sure it was a couple of miles) and then wait in line for our tickets.

Two days before the concert Bob got an email stating that we would be seated somewhere in the FIRST TEN ROWS!! By far I think these are the best seats we've had (out of the 6 concerts I've been to and the 7 he's attended). Right away he checked the value of the tickets on Stub Hub.. they were going for OVER $300 a piece!

After we got our tickets in Toronto, we were super excited to see that we had ROW H seats!! Which by our calculations equaled ROW EIGHT!! Whoo hoo. After that we made the trek back to the car. Which was actually a nice walk b/c instead of walking through that crazy state fair atmosphere we walked along Toronto's Lake Shore Drive. I totally recommend it, should you ever be in Toronto!

We checked into our hotel, got lunch, a nap, got ready, started our pre-concert festivities (a couple of beers) and then caught a cab to our concert. Usually we skip the opening band (this concert a band called Ted Leo? was opening.. yeah I thought you never heard of them either). But because the cab ride took a long time we went right into the venue. We happened to get into the Molson right before the opening band started. And this was a great stroke of luck! Because... the lead singer of Ted Leo was SICK so guess who opened for Pearl Jam? That's right, they opened for themselves!! Again, making them a very sweet/cool band. First it was Eddie singing some Neil Young, then Mike McCreedy and Stone Gossard singing solos. Very, very nice.

The venue was pretty nice. A lot like DTE as it is an outdoor arena. I was hoping to buy an PJ hooded sweatshirt but they ran out (bummer #1) so Bob got a cool T-shirt. Which I ended up wearing most of the night (see pic below) and then right before the concert we had to wait like 30 minutes to buy 4 beers. I don't think the concert venue knew how to handle a sold out crowd. The beer line was atrocious AND it was upwards of $11 PER BEER. Anyhow, I'll let my pics do the talking without totally boring you :) I could go on for hours..

Bob with our tickets. We probably could have financed our entire Toronto vacation for these hot tickets!

This is what $50 in beer looks like.. oh yeah and some dude coming down our row kicked ONE of mine over. So I didn't even get to finish both of mine! (Which is probably a good thing since I forgot that I don't really get along so well with draught beer..)


Disclaimer: I did do my hair (with a curling iron!) and put on makeup for this concert. But it was hot! And so everything melted...And I look wasted here but I wasn't.. I just wanted to put that out there for future reference. But check out the PJ t-shirt! And you can sorta see the Molson sign behind me..



This is the LINE for the MEN'S bathroom! Oh yeah-feel our pain dudes! This is something you'll hardly ever see! One thing I was totally impressed with is that in the ladies room the sinks are NOT by mirrors. I have a theory that's why it takes girls so long to go to the bathroom. We women are attracted to shiny things.. aka mirrors! They have a big fountain with running water and soap right in the middle and mirrors on the walls around it. So you can get in and out!



Bob and I rockin out.



I took a LOT of pictures. These are just a couple. Unfortunately, my camera is old and the zoom doesn't work so great. But I think these are good ones!


Bob always likes to try and figure out what songs they're going to play. I was very happy b/c they played several of MY favorites ;)
They played THREE encores!


Eddie and his standard bottle of red wine..

They played a new song from the new album and a lot off of "Ten" (my personal favorite!) I took a lot of short videos too. But I'm not sure if it's 'legal' to post them. So if you wanna see some you'll have to come to my house!














No comments: